The Sonoran Desert Chorale seeks a Music Director to provide overall artistic vision and direction and to lead the ensemble in rehearsals and concert performances. Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter describing experience, strengths and reasons for interest to the Selection Committee at: SDC.Music.Director@gmail.com.
Application deadline is January 14, 2019.
The Sonoran Desert Chorale is an auditioned community chorus of 60+ vocalists based in Mesa, Arizona in the heart of the Sonoran Desert. Members are experienced adult singers representing a diverse community joined together by the love of music and the challenge of performance. The Chorale performs throughout the Phoenix metropolitan area, presenting four major concert weekends per season, plus special events at various sites. The Chorale has been performing for 25 years and enjoys a reputation for excellence in choral performance. More information on the Sonoran Desert Chorale, including sample recordings, can be found at SonoranDesertChorale.org and on YouTube.
Music Director Role
The Music Director provides overall artistic vision and direction for the Sonoran Desert Chorale. The Music Director is a paid part-time position. The Music Director establishes vocal and musical standards for the ensemble and its members. The Director leads the ensemble in rehearsals and concert performances and supports the mission of the Chorale in collaboration with the Board of Directors. S/he develops an artistic plan for each concert, and provides artistic leadership in preparing the group for performances. Season rehearsals run Thursday evenings from mid-August through early May.
Specific Position Responsibilities
• Provides overall artistic leadership and direction of the Chorale
• Selects concert season theme and individual concert titles
• Selects repertoire and programming order for concert performances
• Plans and communicates Chorale performance and rehearsal calendars for each year
• Establishes and contracts performance venues for each year
• Direct all rehearsals, sectionals and performances
• Purchases new Chorale music as needed (Music Librarian manages and maintains the Chorale’s music library to assist Music Director)
• Appoints and works with section leaders to identify areas for additional focus
• Selects vocal soloists and defines instrumentalists needed to support performances
• Auditions potential new singers
• Provides a positive and enriching musical experience for the Chorale members at rehearsals and performances
• Supplies an appropriate substitute in the event s/he is absent from a rehearsal
• Serves as an ex-officio non-voting member of the Chorale Board of Directors
• Works as part of a team with the Board
• Works with the Board to identify development opportunities
• Serves as a key official spokesperson for the Chorale
• Participates in community and fund raising activities that further the name recognition and mission of the Chorale
• Promotes the Chorale by working with marketing and publicity in the development of campaigns and marketing literature
• Participates in media interviews to promote the Chorale and its performances
• Works with the Chorale’s Board in the preparation of the annual budget
• Follows the approved annual budget for the current programming year
• Collaborates with the Board to identify funding opportunities
• BA in Music, Music Education, or Choral Conducting
• 5 or more years of successful choral directing experience (High School or College)
• Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
• Strong organizational, planning and leadership skills
• Lead rehearsals and sectionals – 1/week during concert season
• Conduct four weekend concerts/year – as per current concert schedule
• Conduct the Chorale in other opportunities outside normal concert venues
• Begin Chorale rehearsals August 2019 with the first concert 2019 repertoire selected prior to that time.
• Available for auditions and other special needs as required
• Masters/PhD in Music, Music Education, or Choral Conducting
• 5 or more years directing a volunteer choral organization
• Strong connections to churches and/or facilities for practice and performance venues
• Demonstrated success in directing volunteer community choral organizations
• Well-respected within the local music community
Salary starts at $15,000 annually, or commensurate with experience.
The Sonoran Desert Chorale is an equal opportunity employer.